Friday, December 30, 2011

FO: Traveling woman shawl

Never having seen lace weight cotton in a very subtle semi-solid, I picked up a single skein of Araucania Lonco Solid during a trip to the DC area a couple of years ago. It marinated in my stash, 440 yards, enough to work a small project with a nice weight to it - a summer shawl.


Naturally I started it in the spring of 2011, worked on The Traveling Woman shawl during the plane travel on a trip to Belize, then let it sit for some months while I didn't do much summer knitting at all. I managed to finish it in October (it really is a fast and satisfying knit), and then wasn't able to download photos from my camera for a month or two. The colour is more accurate here:

Traveling woman shawl

But unfortunately I don't have a great shot of the whole thing. It is a nice drapey heavy sort of summery shawl. I like it.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

WIP: Tinder cardigan

In October, beigeberry and subliminalrabbit and I decided to do another KAL. Beigeberry had spotted the new Brooklyn Tweed collection and had her eye on either Bedford or Tinder. I decided on Tinder and the others decided on Bedford. Still from the same collection (BT Fall 11) so we continued calling it a KAL.

They're both quite a bit farther along than I am. Ok, so subliminal rabbit has finished her project.


That's an early photo, though! I've finished the left front and am making good progress on the back following the holiday knitting wrap up. The yarn is a wool/mohair blend I picked up at Belfast Mini Mills on Prince Edward Island in July. It's squishy and soft with a pretty halo.


Also I have decided my Tinder will be a vest instead of a cardigan. I was having trouble deciding if I would go with the reverse st st sleeves, and also looked at all my sweaters and realized half of them are purple/burgundy. So I think adding a vest to my wardrobe, especially given the length of this one, plus possibly adding pockets, will be a good thing. Also, I may not have purchased quite enough yarn (1000 yards) for a full cardigan so.... a vest solves that problem too!

Thursday, December 1, 2011

FO: Clementine Shawlette

Well, knitting slowed down for a little while but it has picked back up again and a few things have been finished, a few more started, and a couple of patterns are hopefully going to be written fairly soon.

So today I'd like to show you the Clementine Shawlette in Diamond Yarn Luxury Collection Alpaca Prima (100% alpaca fingering weight):


Something a little funny happened with this one - I started it about a year ago and once I got into the 4 row lace repeat it was no trouble at all to set it down, work on a different project, then pick up Clementine when I needed something to just plug away at. I had plenty of yarn (something I can never say for my sweater projects) so I didn't think too much about the length of the thing... until I decided it was getting just about long enough and I should decrease for the final end of it - then checked the pattern and realized I was supposed to knit this in two equal halves. Oops!


So I put the first 85% on hold and cast on from the start of the second "half" - I did try briefly to reverse the shaping on the increase chart to decrease the end of the original half, but with triple decreases and whatnot it wasn't too straightforward so I decided pretty quickly to just cast on for the second piece and then graft them together when it got to the full width. So the seam is most of the way toward one end rather than the centre of the back but never mind!


I have more FOs and WIPs to mention - and the reason I'm back is because I lost my ability to download photos from my camera since July, but recently I was able to borrow someone's set up to download pics from my micro SD so I have a bunch of stuff to post. And I was able to update a bunch of Ravely stuff, which is very satisfying!