Sunday, August 17, 2008

FO: Eyelet Chemise

Finished up in time to debut on my birthday.

144_4496-1

I’m really pleased with how lovely and drapey this piece is - and was disappointed to have the back of it ‘grow’ several inches over the course of a day at the office. I haven’t found a ribbon yet to run under the bust which might help with this problem. I’m also thinking of getting some nylon thread or something to run through the sts at the shoulders to help reinforce them. I kitchenered the shoulders rather than seaming them and I hope I don’t regret that!!

144_4500-1

I knit the body quite a bit longer than called for in the pattern, and now that it’s stretching out during wear it really comes lower than written in the pattern - but I found when I put it back on the second day the yarn had contracted once again and it was shorter. I’ll be careful with 100% bamboo in the future, but it does have fabulous drape and is very soft.

I have a rotten pic of the back but I'll spare you. It's rather difficult to photograph your own back, I've discovered. What I wouldn't give for a dressform like subliminalrabbit's.

I'm also making progress on Tilia:

145_4508

A sleeve has been started. What can I say, I needed the element of portability in yesterday's knitting. So I cast on for the sleeve and worked the chart bit before heading out for some socializing. I have abandoned the front for a bit in order to work the back part - the short rows I put in for the front seem to be totally in the wrong place (too close to the armscythe), and since the pattern called for no bust shaping anyway, I'm going to work the back and try it on backwards to see if I even need the short rows, and if I do, I'll figure out exactly where they should be and frog back a bit.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

ready for an FO

I'm really ready for an FO. I have a number of things OTN currently, and will list only the ones I have actually picked up and worked on in the last ... week or possibly two:

Shapely Tank
Eyelet Chemise
Branching Out
Roped Shell

and now I have a new one for you - case on on the way to the airport (spent a week in Portland) and made excellent progress:

Tilia

(and I promise, knitting it in the same color is a total coincidence! Normally I have nothing to do with the color sample are knitted up in!) So far, she looksa like this:

144_4447

Isn't she pretty? Let's get another look at that leafy detail (apparently reminiscent of a Linden tree):

144_4448

I'm nearly to the point where I can divide for the front and back, and this thing is practically knitting itself. The lace repeat was super easy to learn (even if I had to guess at the charted symbols, since my copy did not have the key from the back of the Elsebeth Lavold pattern book) and it worked up really fast in the lovely Silky Wool.

In other happy news, the Eyelet Chemise managed to dry while I was away (the bamboo rocks but took like three days to fully dry - I will say that we've been having a ton of rain in the Northeast.) and I have one sleeve already knitted, the second cast on, and I plan to finish that piece up tonight. If I'm really on the ball I can block the sleeves - they should take less time to dry, I imagine! Then there will be a bit of crocheted edging and possible hunting for buttons. and then an FO! this is the one that is most likely to get finished up first.

Lovely rainy evening for watching a DVD and working on that second sleeve! Hurrah!