Rainbow scarves

Howdy y'all.... new year coming up, and I have an unexpected break from work (before starting a new job) so I am planning on attacking some UFOs! Also, tidying up this blog would be a good thing.

Of course the Christmas knitting needs to get wrapped up first. I just bound off a super simple little scarf and am about to cast on for another. I know a couple of 4 year olds who appreciate my knitting enough to get a little something cozy under the tree.


These are a couple of the reasons that my knitting has slowed way down and I'm not blogging as much as I would like. I like to think that the time invested away from my knitting now is going to triple our joint output in years to come because they both love crafty stuff and are excited to learn to knit! I'm using other means to develop their motor skills before we sit down and risk the frustration that can come when you first try to cast on and get going.

Last year they each got a pair of these:

And to my amazement, a year later we still have all four mitts. This may be due to the fact that these mitts are not allowed to go to daycare during the day where all other mitts (even the brand new 6 pairs of stretch ones I bought them recently) go to get lost. Like on day 1. It's frustrating enough to lose store bought mitts, I'm not really interested in risking it with handknits.

Those fingerless mitts need a little extending as little hands grow so I might try to add a bit of an extra top to them somehow. And in a notebook somewhere around the house there are notes because I had planned on sharing... so maybe those will emerge as I start to get more organized in the new year! I had trouble finding an appropriate mitt/fingerless pattern for toddler hands so I worked something out myself and I was fairly pleased with it, plus the girls love them.

So - to come - two very similar scarves for the wee ones (a pair of free patterns planned) - and some other WIPs and FOs that have slowly but surely been coming along this year. Thanks to everyone who keeps visiting despite my lack of updating this past year!

Comments