new hampshire sheep & wool festival

last weekend I made it to the NH sheep & wool festival. my first fiber fest. it was perfect, because it (a) was the most beautiful day imaginable (b) wasn't too big and overwhelming and (c) I took a friend's advice and managed to heed it as well - I looked at everything before I bought anything. rock on. here are some of the animals:

142_4254

these two were parked side by side with a white giant angora bunny, like all three were in their parking spaces, but as soon as the camera came out (and friendly owner opened the cage to allow a better shot) white bunny hightailed it (so to speak) to the other side of the cage. it was so cute when they were all lined up!

142_4256

then, of course, they got all excited and moved around so it was tough to take a non-blurry shot.

freshly shorn:

142_4257

and I think this guy's barber ran out of time before the show:

142_4259

my loot:

142_4263

As I said before, I was highly selective. The cone is Shephard Sport heathered wool (1750 yd) from Bartlett yarns though it was being resold from another vendor who had picked up loads of it thinking she would knit a million socks on her sock machine, apparently. she was letting it go for half price. I intend to knit with it doubled to make a heavier weight yarn for a fall sweater.

The brown skein is my first ever cashmere! happy happy. It was being sold at wholesale by Kate who said she wanted to introduce people to the wonders of cashmere - when they might otherwise balk at the price. well done, Kate. she sells on ebay, too.

the glorious gorgeous purpleness was a last moment purchase of supersock (400 dyd) from Ball and Skein; I spoke with the owner, who dyes in her barn just up the road apace in W Glover, I'd love to see her operation!

142_4265

this is the beauty that stole my heart, however, also from Ball and Skein. I considered buying two. for handdyed sock yarn and the yardage, the price was very right. I was however, about $20 over my hopeful estimate of spending a mere $50, and though I felt I'd gotten very good deals I have no idea what I would have done with two of these. in fact I'm not sure about the one. I want everyone to see it so this will not be my first pair of socks (though I am considering the purple for that purpose). fingerless gloves, maybe. though I have ... a few pairs already. anyway, see for yourself:

142_4266

it is more beautiful in person (isn't it always?) it is olive and turquoise and moss and forest green. I love how the turquoise sets off the earthier woodsy colors. so right up my alley.

I went down with three gals from my knitting group that has managed to meet fairly regularly once a week for the last couple of months. those of us who were not driving were knitting away, and I'm happy to report that I've nearly finished my YAC#4. hurrah!

must be off to eat a very belated dinner but I will first mention that I have just cast on for a second pair of Saartje's booties very much like these (Ravelry link) in that they are the same pattern and yarn but I am knitting them on smaller needles (I considered knitting the smaller size, too, but for a summer baby I think that they'd better be the larger size and ready for fall/winter) but I am attempting to knit them without seams/in the round. my inspiration for this was Bockstark, and I have even managed to work for the first time the Turkish cast on which I found a tutorial for here. it's not that they're not simple as can be when knit as originally designed by Saartje but the opportunity to learn a new cast on has presented itself!

Comments

  1. bunnies, alpaca, and pretty pretty yarn - what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for letting us in vicariously on the fun! So lucky to go to a fiber festival! I justed started my second pair of Saartje's booties, too, but only flat. I'm curious to see how it goes knitting them in the round. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see that beautiful yarn knit up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the angoras!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment