Sunday, April 20, 2008

nearly FO: teahouse sling

I made progress on the Teahouse Sling from Vicki Square's Folk Bags this weekend. Here is the first side as I embellished it (totally different from the photo but I wanted to do something less intricate, to be honest):

142_4227

And the second side, which I went totally freestyle on - for the first side I sort of planned what I was going to do ahead of time but not on this side...

142_4226

At the time that I took these pictures I had been practicing my three needle bindoff. This was the first time, I believe, that I've done it. My hand was quite cramped from the awkward holding of the needles by the time I reached the end of the bottom seam. It is quite sturdy, which is good. However, I ended up getting extra, unforeseen practice, because once I took the pictures I realized that the little thing that was niggling me about this bag was... the orientation. The whole reason I knit the thing was because it needed to fold at the bottom completely opposite to what I had done, and look a bit more like this:

142_4228

Ah, yes, that's the one. This way it lies a bit flat under your arm, rather than the pattern being sort of squashed to the side whenever there's anything actually in the bag.

So I got to work my three needle BO twice. Excellent. Here is the opposite side as properly oriented, in case you're curious:

142_4229

Less exciting, but I like it being all asymmetrical. I even properly blocked this thing, and of course that made it look nice for the photo shoot. I hope to find something nice to line this with and then to try it out as my new spring bag!

In a quick note on my Booga Bag - I've finished knitting with the first of two skeins of the Patons Merino Classic and put the body on a spare cable and started working the 5-6 feet of i-cord with the second skein. Then I can use exactly how much yarn I have to make this bag just how bit it will be. Look at me, all about bags suddenly! There are other things being worked on...just not this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. oooh, what a transformation! i like the embroidery this way too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete