thinking of a new project...

Intolerable Cruelty from Knitty. Thing is, it should be knitted in bamboo. Thing is, I really want the excuse to try some bamboo! Other thing is, most suppliers sell it in 50 gram balls for $7-10 or so, and the SouthWest Trading Company that the pattern calls for comes in 100 gram balls for $13-14 so clearly buying the 5 or so balls called for in the pattern (500 grams then) makes sense only if you use the SWTC. Thirteen times five is... $65. Ouch. Possibly obtainable as birthday yarn. But is there a better way?

I am so psyched! After quite a bit of searching I just happened to stumble back onto Halcyon yarns and they have bamboo now! I ordered 3/2 pearl cotton from them to knit the Hush-hush a couple of years ago and I was really pleased with the cotton, plus it was super cheap! So now it turns out I could order the bamboo--also DK weight, as the pattern calls for!--from Halcyon yarns--and they have more colors!!!! hooray hooray! Ordering one cone means I'll get twice as much as I need for half the price. How is this not the best deal of the day?! Thinking about color 13, called wine. It's going to be a super striking skirt, might as well have it in a deep red color.

And I can offload the bamboo half left over probably on the Destash blog, which I have just joined. Sweet. It's a great way to give someone else the chance to use your yarn that you've already tried out and decided not to use, or have left over or whatnot. I've actually been keeping my eyes open for bamboo, which there is not a lot of going around, and usable lots of nice colors for sweaters, tops etc. There is too much! Some people are really giving it away for much less than the worth of the yarn and others are trying to get the full value--for very popular things like Sweet Georgia sock yarn or Fleece Artist stuff. I can hardly blame them.

In other news, the current secret Clapotis (no. 3!) is about 3/4 done. Meaning I finished the final repeat of the straight rows I can do with ball number three, tiny bit left on that one and then on to the final ball. No pictures possible for now since the intended recipient's bday is far away! I really should share pics of my first two claps though. stay tuned.

Comments